Spondylitis Treatment in Mumbai
In simple terms Spondylitis means inflammation in your spine wherein the spinal nerves are irritated or swollen. The most common affected area in the case of Spondylitis are neck, lower back and shoulders wherein they experience episodes of shooting pain that radiates downwards. Spondylitis is also known to be one of the most common reason for back pain and neck pain.
The three most popular type of spondylitis affecting the spine are:
- Cervical spondylitis: This type affects the neck region
- Lumbar spondylitis: This type affects the lower back region
- Ankylosing spondylitis: This type affects the sacroiliac joint which connects your spine to the pelvis. It causes pain and stiffness in hands, shoulders, lower back and buttocks. It can also make your spine hunch forward. Ankylosing spondylitis is more prevalent amongst men than women.
Although spondylitis doesn’t have a definitive cure, consulting Dr Bhavin Shial, the best spondylitis specialist in Mumbai at Spine and Sports Clinic can help strengthen your back and alleviate the symptoms. Choosing a highly experienced spondylitis treatment doctor who has a team of qualified physiotherapists and rehab consultants can assure effective spondylitis treatment without surgery and quick recovery.
What are the causes of Spondylitis?
While experts have not be able to ascertain the exact cause of spondylitis, research has indicated that genetic factor have a role to play in developing this condition. People having a gene called HLA-B27 are more susceptible to develop spondylitis. Common risk factors of spondylitis includes:
- Age and Gender: Unlike other rheumatic disorders, initial symptoms of spondylitis often appear in younger adults. It is most common amongst Individuals aged between 20 to 40 years. Also, men are more prone to have spondylitis than women.
- Heredity: More than 90% of the people who were identified with ankylosing spondylitis had a family history of carrying the HLA-B27 gene. So, if your parents or siblings have suffered from ankylosing spondylitis then the chance of you getting it is higher.
- Injury: Spinal cord injuries or other neck injuries due to accidents or falls can also cause spondylitis
- Infections: In rare cases bacterial infections in intestine, bladder or genitals can cause spondylitis too.
What are Signs and Symptoms of Spondylitis?
Spondylitis pain develops slowly and gradually and hence it takes a while to identify it. The most common symptoms of spondylitis are stiffness and pain in the hips and lower back. This pain and stiffness are most often experienced early morning or after a long period of inactivity. The pain subsides with light exercise and increases with rest. The most common symptoms include:
- Pain in muscles, joints and back
- Body stiffness and immobility
- Swelling in arms and legs
- Fatigue and nausea
Commonly affected areas include
- Lower back vertebrae
- Shoulder and hip joints
- Spine, back of the foot heel, areas where the tendons and ligaments join the bone
- Sacroiliac Joints located between the pelvis and base of the spine.
- Cartilage between the ribs and breastbone
How to Diagnose Spondylitis?
At Spine and Sports Clinic, our Spondylitis treatment doctor will record the patient’s entire medical history. For the medical history the patient would be questioned about the severity of pain, affected area of pain, duration of pain, whether the pain causes numbness or tingling in arms and legs, whether there is difficulty in walking and whether the patient was in an accident or got injured in the recent past. Post which the reflexes and muscle strength of the patient is checked by conducting a physical examination like moving and bending in different directions. Since Spondylitis is tricky condition further test like MRIs, CT scans, spinal X-rays may be needed.
- X-ray: To get a clear picture of the bone structure of the spine and identify any changes in joints and bones which hint towards spondylitis.
- MRI or CT Scan: Deeper diagnose if needed is done with CT scan or MRI scan to get a detailed image of discs, bones, muscles, ligaments and nerves to see if there is a problem with any of them.
- Blood tests: Blood tests help in identifying inflammation markers caused by Spondylitis. Besides that, blood test may also be done to check whether you carry HLA-B27 gene.
Our spine specialist at Spine and Sports Clinic Mumbai offer both physical therapy and spondylitis treatment without surgery. Under the guidance of best spondylitis specialist in Mumbai, Dr. Shial and his team of rehab consultants and physiotherapists; we strive towards providing the best non-surgical options for Spondylitis treatment.
What are the Preventions tips for Spondylitis?
Since the cause of spondylitis is uncertain a definite prevention measure guideline has not been developed. Although, Spondylitis pain and condition can be kept from deteriorating by following simple lifestyle modifications like:
- Indulge in physical activities: Spondylitis patients experience excruciating pain after a period of inactivity. Hence it is advised to stay active and do moderate exercise. Some patients also feel relief from pain post flexibility workouts. At Spine and Sports Clinic, our spondylitis specialist in Mumbai can suggest you the right kind of exercise which will help you to overcome the pain from spondylitis.
- Body Weight: More weight causes more stress on your spine especially when it is concentrated on your abdominal region. Hence eat right and maintain a healthy weight.
- Proper posture: Spondylitis at time causes abnormal curvature of spine. Slouching and poor posture can add to the condition and hence correcting yourself from time to time to stand straight will be helpful. Maintaining a good posture while sleeping is equally important. Choose a firm mattress and use a thin pillow to support your neck while sleeping.
How to differentiate Spondylitis from other symptoms of spine-related pain?
It is difficult to differentiate spondylitis from other spine related issues as spondylitis does builds up gradually over years and at first just gives you back pains which can be easily mistaken to be post workout body sores. Couple of signs which are peculiar to spondylitis are:
- The pain worsens on rest rather than easing off.
- In some cases, you may feel pain in the back of your heel
- Chronic pain and stiffness in the sacroiliac joint which connects your spine to the pelvis.
If you are suffering from spondylitis and wondering whom to approach for a true and ethical advice, then you can reach out to us at Spine and Sports clinic. Driven by Dr Bhavin Shial’s motto we are committed to provide personal attention and professional care resulting into an effective and quick cure for our patients.
At Spine and Sports Clinic, our spondylitis specialist in Mumbai and his team of physiotherapists and rehab consultants collaborates to help patients with the best course of spondylitis treatment without surgery in Mumbai. Our spine care team excels in providing Non- surgical treatments like medicine, physiotherapy, posture correction & spinal injections as treatment options. At Spine and Sports Clinic, we believe that surgery as an option should be the last resort for treating any spinal disorders.
Step into our clinic to experience world-class facilities and get a definite cure for your spondylitis problem!
FAQs for Spondylitis Treatment
The exact root cause of spondylitis is yet unknown. However genetic factors like presence of HLA-B27 gene increases the chances of developing the condition and hence advised to practice preventive measures. However, not everyone with the HLA-B27 gene get affected by spondylitis. Our expert spine surgeon in Mumbai, Dr Bhavin Shial along with his team can advice you on non-surgical treatments which will help you to get a quick recovery from spondylitis.
Spondylitis develop its symptoms gradually. Some people suffering from spondylitis show no symptoms while for others the symptoms can vary from stiffness, inflexibility, and pain in the hip and lower back regions.
Spondylitis pain cannot be totally cured but can be controlled by Non- surgical treatments like medicine, physiotherapy, posture correction & spinal injections prescribed by our Spondylitis treatment doctor as part of the spondylitis treatment in Mumbai. At Spine and Sports Clinic, we regularly update our patients with preventive measures, tips and newer non-surgical treatment options to maintain healthy spine and keep spondylitis pain in control. Follow us on our Facebook or Instagram to stay updated.
Spondylitis, like cervical spondylitis can affect the bones, disc as well as the joints in the vertebrae. If the symptoms are ignored for a long time, then the entire spine can get impacted causing traumatic compression of the spinal nerve roots or spinal cord. If this neck trauma affects the spinal cord, the patient’s limbs (all 4) can potentially paralyze. Consult a renowned spine specialist at Spine and Sports Clinic for a thorough evaluation of your condition and the possible treatment options.
Spondylitis is the inflammation of single or multiple vertebrae. Spondylosis, on the other hand, is degenerative disc condition mainly related to age and excess wear and tear of spinal discs. With a proper diagnosis at Spine and Sports Clinic, the patients can get a clearer picture of their condition and go ahead with effective treatment options based on your ailment.